The basic Sight Test is only a minimum standard for the testing of sight that dates back to the early days of the health service. Since then medical eyecare has move forward significantly allowing us to diagnosis and treat many more conditions than ever before. Unfortunately, we believe that a basic Sight Test is only really aimed at detecting abnormalities of the eyes and is not sufficiently detailed to provide the high level diagnostic precision required to detect subtle changes that occur in the earliest stages of most eye disease.
At Jones & Murphy we are able to offer a comprehensive Extended Examination that allows detection and diagnosis of eye disease at the earliest stage. If required, you will also be offered appropriate treatment and follow up visits.
As part of the Extended Examination you expect everything included in a basic Sight Test plus:
- Detailed examination of the anterior (front) segment using a high powered Haag Streit slitlamp microscope
- Goldmann applanation tonometry
- Stereoscopic fundus and optic disc examination with dilated pupils
- Diagnostic automated perimetry on a Henson Pro Field Analyser
- A full explanation and diagnosis of any conditions found.
We also encourage you to have fundus photography while your pupils are dilated in order to provide a permanent record of the health of your eyes for future comparison. You may be advised for the need for additional advanced tests if you are suspected of having glaucoma.
Some patients may be eligible to have this an Extended Examination on the NHS as part of the Welsh Eye Health Examination (WEHE) if:
- You have sight in one eye only, i.e. you are effectively blind in your worse eye.
- You have a hearing impairment and are profoundly deaf – these patients need sight to lip read.
- You suffer from retinitis pigmentosa or if one of your parents has an eye disease which is known to be inherited.
- Your family origins are Black African, Black Caribbean, Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi.
- You are at risk of eye disease by other race or family reasons.